Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Who Am I, O Lord God?


Who Am I, O Lord God?

How often have you ever asked God that question – Who am I? Well how about turning that question around for a minute…How does God see you? Are you His faithful servant, believing and trusting in Him? Or are you trusting in something else?

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."
(Jeremiah 17:7-8 NIV)

One day, I counted the number of times the word “trust” appeared in the Psalms. It was 69 times in the New King James version. We know the majority of the Psalms were written by David, and we also know of David being the “man after God’s own heart.” How much of that had to do with the fact David trusted the Lord, no matter how dark it got in his life, no matter how many enemies came after him? David trusted God to deliver him, and each time, God came through for him when he trusted the Lord.

Faith is a large part of trust. In Hebrews 11, we see the many people of the Bible, and how they had faith in God. And in many of those verses, you can even replace the word “faith” with “trust” and find the meaning is similar. Faith makes trust, and trust makes faith.

God says to us in His Word that we are more valuable than the sparrows, and He cares for each and every one of them. He tells us in His Word He knew us before we were born. He came through for so many men and women in the Bible who trusted in Him. Will He not come through for you and me if we trust Him? Of course He will!

So who is God telling you who you are? He’s telling you that you are valuable:

But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:30-31 NKJV)

He tells you He knew you – and your spouse – before you were born:

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be. (Psalm 139:13-16 NIV)

He loves us with an everlasting love:

I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
(Jeremiah 31:3b NIV)

And most of all, He rejoices over us:

He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.
(Zephaniah 3:17b NKJV)

I often wonder why He chose me, and why He gave me the gifts He did. Most certainly, I wonder why He allowed what is happening with me and my beloved, and what He will do to redeem it for His glory. But I know this: He is faithful. He does not forget His promises to His children. I see it as I study His Word, and read it each day. I see the many ways He brings me encouragement at just the right time, and how He has given me gifts of some incredible people along the journey. I know that there will be a day when, my marriage is restored for His glory, for He has shown me in His Word. Like David, I will be praying to him in thankfulness as recorded in 2 Samuel 7:


Then King David went in and sat before the LORD; and he said: “Who am I, O Lord GOD? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far? And yet this was a small thing in Your sight, O Lord GOD; and You have also spoken of Your servant’s house for a great while to come. Is this the manner of man, O Lord GOD? Now what more can David say to You? For You, Lord GOD, know Your servant. For Your word’s sake, and according to Your own heart, You have done all these great things, to make Your servant know them. Therefore You are great, O Lord GOD. For there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears. And who is like Your people, like Israel, the one nation on the earth whom God went to redeem for Himself as a people, to make for Himself a name—and to do for Yourself great and awesome deeds for Your land—before Your people whom You redeemed for Yourself from Egypt, the nations, and their gods? For You have made Your people Israel Your very own people forever; and You, LORD, have become their God.

“Now, O LORD God, the word which You have spoken concerning Your servant and concerning his house, establish it forever and do as You have said. So let Your name be magnified forever, saying, ‘The LORD of hosts is the God over Israel.’ And let the house of Your servant David be established before You. For You, O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, have revealed this to Your servant, saying, ‘I will build you a house.’ Therefore Your servant has found it in his heart to pray this prayer to You.

“And now, O Lord GOD, You are God, and Your words are true, and You have promised this goodness to Your servant. Now therefore, let it please You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may continue before You forever; for You, O Lord GOD, have spoken it, and with Your blessing let the house of Your servant be blessed forever.” (2 Samuel 7:18-29 NKJV)

We are His Israel, for we believe and trust in Him. He longs to bless us. Make David’s prayer here your own. Trust God, see yourself as He sees you. Nothing is impossible with Him!



Passages marked “NIV” are Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Passages marked “NKJV” are Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Countdown to Show at Houston Rodeo