Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Dog Park Dog Killers



This story totally breaks my heart. I have a dog named Smokey, and she is such an absolute love. (Please see my Smokey below)

When I first heard the dog's name was Smokey, it sent a chill right through me. To the left here is Smokey Mock, who died in Grant Park.

Chicago Tribune article about Smokey's senseless death in Grant Park on Saturday evening.

T
he city of Chicago puts in this dog park, into Grant Park in the heart of the city. There are electrical access panels in the asphalt. Why? Especially with snow and rain and all the types of weather we get here in Chicago, that seems to be far too hazardous. Did they not think something like this could happen on the paths? How can this possibly be allowed as normal building of park pathways? What if it was a small child who stepped on this panel? What if it was several children? This is unimaginable to think that something so very dangerous was just right there in the middle of a very public area with no warning signs and nothing to indicate any kind of a possible danger could be so close nearby.

As I enjoyed my sweet Smokey this evening, playing with her with her toys, as she would bring each one and drop it by my side, I couldn't help but think of a family who can't enjoy the same thing with their dog tonight.

My heart breaks for this family and their tragedy. Dogs truly are a member of the family, and to see a beloved family member die in such a horrible, tragic way has to be extremely difficult to bear. They are in my prayers as they grieve their loss.

Smokey Wheeler




No comments:

Countdown to Show at Houston Rodeo